Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Weeds Be Gone!

Every year as fall rolls around I get crazy thinking about all the activities we could get involved with for the coming year. Opportunity abounds! Piano lessons, gymnastics, karate, scouts and the list goes on. It's so weird how in the spring I can't wait for everything to be over so we can have a more laid back schedule and in the fall I crave routine and activity.

For some reason last fall I had this need to do way too much. I was helping with Sunday School, hosting Bible studies and in charge of the Christmas program. While I was trying to get all my stuff together one Sunday morning, I looked over and saw Mike feeding the kids breakfast. Not that he had any important stuff, like a sermon to think about! All the activites I was involved in were good things to do, but were they edifying my job in serving my family? If I'm not home to keep the "home fires burning", then the home might just burn down!

As you know, I have been spending a lot of time in the garden lately. Not only do I not really enjoy gardening, I'm totally ignorant about it. It's unbelievable how weeds grow and look just like the plant. They are smart little things! If you aren't careful you could pull the actual plant and not the weed. And when the weeds get too big, when you pull them the plant come right out too!

I think activities can be like weeds in my life. They'll uproot our whole family if I let them get too overgrown. Even if I could keep up with all the running around and costs, I must ask myself if it's going to be edifying to my family and our desire to be followers of Christ. Why is that so hard to do? I think I better get out the weed wacker!

Matthew 13:7
"Other seeds fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants."

No comments: