Monday, December 11, 2006

I'm No Stallion!

I had the chance to go to a baby shower for a friend of mine from college this weekend. Several of my friends were there with little babies I had not yet met. We had a blast reminiscing about dorm life and pranks. As I was thinking about being a new mom I was reminded that God really works in us through mothering. The transition of realizing you will "accomplish" very little every day is tough.

One day a while ago I happened to have the Today show on and it must have been a slow news day because they were doing a story about Lipizzaner Stallions. They are the fancy horses that leap in the air. Did you know that they do not show the female Lipizzaner's - all they are responsible for is continuing the breed! Somehow I was able to identify with that. I want to be the stallion out there, all dolled up and leaping for the crowds. But it seems my job is actually just continuing the breed and caring for the young ones. It just doesn't seem fair!

Is there a bigger dose of humility that motherhood? I mean I can think of the times that I am honored for being a mother - Mother's Day and they days I have given birth. That's about it (ok - I'm exaggerating) but that is how it feels! Does anyone care that I have given up so much for this? All of a sudden the things you think need to get done have to take a permanent back seat to the needs of others. I've had some draining people in my life before I had kids, but there were boundaries. They didn't LIVE with me or walk into the bathroom while I was trying to take a shower.

So as I was remembering myself as the crazy college student, new wife, new mom I realized that I am really glad that I'm no stallion! I don't want to go back to the person I was (ok maybe the pant size I was). God has brought forth changes in me that are for the better big time. And as I think of the things that seemed so hard to give up at the time, they seem like little pebbles of sand now. This seems to be one of the ways God is helping me become more like Him.

Luke 1:46-49
"And Mary said:
My Soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me -
holy is his name."

2 comments:

Calvary Kids said...

well said - and the pant size thing made me laugh out loud!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate what you are saying. It seems like we as women are always searching for significance. My boss (a man) was trying to justify his working wife and made a comment that stay-at-home wives sit around eating bon-bons. As soon as he said it he knew it was a mistake since I've spent most of my life at home taking care of my family. At any rate it's those kind of comments that make us continually justifying our lives, whether we work or stay home. I'm thankful that I was the one to see my kids first steps, hear their first words, teach them right and wrong, discipline them when they were naughty. Now my kids are grown up and I know it's the best, most significant thing I've ever done.