Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Mommy Behind Mommy Missionary

So here's a little about me, the Mommy behind Mommy Missionary. The name on my driver's license and library card is Michelle Keller. That's totally true. I will not guarantee the other information on that license is as accurate.

I grew up in Minnesota. While in college I met a guy who had long hair, wore cowboy boots and wanted to be a pastor. I wasn't too sure about that, but I married him anyway. I never wanted to be a mom and certainly didn't want to be a small town pastor's wife but God worked in my heart and grew me into it. Here we are 13 years and five kids later.

After becoming a Mom, I quickly grew discouraged with the ups and downs of mothering. In a society defined by success, money and self promotion it's hard to feel like mothering is a valuable endeavor. I was trying to get my kids to be good. It wasn't working and I felt like I was wasting my time.

God began to show me that it was not their behavior or actions, but their heart that he cares about. He's taken a self-centered brat and is molding me into His likeness. There isn't a more service-oriented, humbling job that being a mommy.

There is still a long road ahead. There are more things I need to learn, more challenges to get through, more joy and laughter, more difficult times to cling to Christ. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else! Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

No comments: