Friday, August 04, 2006

Tied Down

We've been putting Annie in her car seat A LOT lately! (We've driven 4,000 miles in the last two months). She does not like to be tied down. She starts crying, kicking and screaming. Sometimes it is a challenge to win the battle! Who knew a 15 month old could have such strength and determination!

But there are times when we are going somewhere wonderful, a place she will love like a park or swimming pool and she doesn't know that she needs to experience the discomfort and inconvenience of her car seat for a greater good. You silly little baby, if you would just realize that you are going to love playing in this pool, the car seat wouldn't be so bad! Our older kids understand the excitement of what is to come so they don't mind.

I wonder if God thinks that about me. I'm kicking and screaming about some situation in my life and I can't see what He is going to accomplish through it. There are times I've felt tied down with marriage, family, ministry and finances (and still do) . But I can look back and see that He's using those things for a greater good - He's pushing me to grow and mature. I really don't want to go back to being the person I was 5 years ago (well, maybe back to the dress size). He's given me peace and understanding about a lot of things. I'm sure there will be many more periods of growth I'll need over my lifetime, but I hope I can look at it and see the excitement of good things to come!

Hebrews 12:2-3
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith,
who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame,
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men,
so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

No comments: