Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Piece of Humble Pie

Yesterday, I was thinking about how important humility is in the Christian life. Marriage and parenting definitely facilitate that. God sure knows what He is doing! Anyway, if you ask my kids what Daddy does in the morning they'll tell you, he drinks coffee, reads the Bible and prays. If you asked them what Mommy does in the morning they would probably say I don't know. She snores and pulls the covers over her head until she hears total chaos break out. Mike, my husband, (who has been blessed with the chipper morning person gene) has disciplined himself to spend time with God in the morning. Not only is that great for his spiritual life, but it is an awesome example to our kids when they wake up in the morning and see him on his knees. Now when Grant wakes up and sees him praying he just grabs his Bible and starts reading.

So when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I came out to see him on his knees praying and it was so humbling to me for several reasons. One is that I feel humbled that God would let me be married to such a Godly guy. But also because I feel like a lazy bum that I am not that disciplined. So, 6:00 a.m might not be my time, but I think I better find a time and get on my knees.

Psalm 119:147
"I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I have put my hope in your word."

No comments: