Thursday, August 03, 2006

One of Those Days

Wow! The past two days have just been "one of the days" kind of days. Yesterday I spent two hours cleaning the van after our trip. Abby and Annie were in and out throughout the process. When I came in to make lunch, tired and sweaty, I found that they had emptied the dressers of all the clothes and piled them in the middle of the floor. Then after lunch it was time to work in the garden. We have a months worth of weeds to pull and we make the kids help us. They pick up the piles and dump them. They complained and whined the whole time. Now, I want them to learn responsibility but when they come out they get covered head to toe in dirt, drag it all in the house, everyone needs a bath and their complaining takes any joy I have (which is very little) out of gardening; I wonder if it is really worth it.

Today was appointment day. Annie had her 15 month check up. Yep, everyone got to come along. In the waiting room the battery in Grant's GameBoy died and that was tragic. Then they ransacked the doctor's office while we waited, playing a very loud and rowdy game of E.R. and jumping off the table Then it was off to haircuts and the library. The librarians looked at me like, "are you insane?" You know, I think I am!

It is so frusterating to me that the kids are always getting in the way of my agenda. I can't get the laundry done or the house cleaned up or my email checked when they always need attention. It sounds pretty bad to actually put that in writing but that is how I feel most days. I am NOT advocating not cleaning or doing laundry, but what I realized today is that the kids aren't in the way of me doing my job; THEY ARE MY JOB! I think I let everything else get in the way of serving them and ministering to them. That's what I want to do, but I am continually letting these little tasks around the house become more important than they are.


Proverbs 19:21
"Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

Matthew 19:14
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them,
for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

No comments: