Thursday, August 10, 2006

Enough About TV!

I'm really being challenged about what I fill my mind and time with, so I had a few more thoughts on TV. I was thinking that it isn't only about the amount of time I spend watching TV, but there is something to be said for the content of what I'm watching. How many of the shows that I enjoy watching include majorly, bigtime sinful behavior? Murder, adultery, stealing, dishonesty, bad language and worse. What should my standard for viewing be?

It reminds me of the time Mike and I were on vacation with my sister and her husband and my parents. We were watching TV and came across Austin Powers. I'm sure that my sister and brother-in-law had seen the movie before as we had. We thought it was funny I guess. But as we were sitting there watching it with my parents, the sexual innuendos and lewdness didn't seem so funny. We were all adults, but one by one we decided it was too weird and headed off to bed.

Another time when my sister and I were in high school we accidentally left a copy of the Woody Harrelson movie "White Men Can't Jump" at our grandparents. (Does that date me? Have most of you heard of that movie?) My Grandpa found it and watched it. He was in World War 2, so I figure he's heard a few swear words in his day, but it made us feel pretty uncomfortable to think of him watching that movie. So then I wonder, why were we watching it?

There are things and situations that we as adults can handle watching But I'm realizing that I'm becoming pretty laid back with my standards. I want my life to be pleasing to God in every area and to be pure before Him as much as I can in my sinful state. I think I need to remember that Jesus sitting in the room with me while I watch TV. I wonder if it would change my viewing habits?

Philippians 4:8
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever in noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

1 Corinthians 10:23
"'Everything is permissible" - but not everything is beneficial.
'Everything is permissible' - but not everything is constructive."

No comments: