Friday, May 13, 2011

Just Another Day at the Office

I went biking instead of running this morning.  My running partner is hurt so we are cross training.  We saw some wild tulips.  Is there such a thing?  There must be because I saw them with my own eyes.  Some dogs chased me. I didn’t bring my pepper spray because I thought I could outrun anything on my bike.  I had to scream instead.  That worked out ok.

I brought forgotten homework to class for someone who shall remain nameless.  I insisted Maren get dressed for the occasion even though I still had my exercise clothes on.  Within thirty seconds of getting home she had her pajamas back on.

We had the portable crib out yesterday while I was watching a friend’s little girl.  Maren spent all day in it.  In her pajamas.

DSCF6808

With Buddy.  He didn’t seem to mind too much.  She even ate her lunch in there.

DSCF6809

Who needs dolls when you have a little dog?

DSCF6813

Imagine if I had told her she had to stay in there all day.  That wouldn’t have gone over so well. 

I picked Jenna up from school early since they thought she had pink eye.  Fortunately my friend was here visiting so I didn’t have to get Maren out of her pajamas again!

We bought some vintage Polly Pockets at the thrift store for fifty cents.  I didn’t know that’s what they were.  When Abby told me there was a “PP” on the bottom it clicked. I do remember my cousins getting those cute little houses for Christmas.  If I may be so bold, Polly has gotten a little hoochy since her early days. 

Anyway, I made the mistake of letting Abby look for the pieces on ebay.  Those came today in the mail.  She is an ebay addict now.  Is there a twelve step program for that?

DSCF6818

It was a double crock pot night.  I made my famous honey buns because I was pretty sure no one would like what was in the crockpots very much.  I accidentally put baking soda in instead of baking powder.  I had no eggs so I put in a little oil.  They came out looking like shriveled up potatoes.  Everyone needed a big snack before bed.

Annie had her first baseball practice.  She is very excited about that.  She needs Gatorade before her next practice though.  She wanted to stop and get some at the bar but I thought we could wait until I could get to the grocery store.

DSCF6816

I even found Jenna’s old baseball pants and cleats for her in the storage room.  That was a feat in itself.  Someday I’ll organize it.

Abby and Maren and I played on the park during practice.  I think it’s pretty good that was only my third trip to school for the day.

I’m going on a field trip with the third grade tomorrow.  I’m doing it for my daughter.  It seems there are lots of things I’d rather do for my daughter than ride a bus for an hour with a bunch of 9 year olds.  Like buy Polly Pockets on ebay or shave my head or jump out of an airplane. 

Updated to say:  Or get pink eye and stay home to take the other pink eyes to the doctor only to find out I have strep again and Mare has an ear infection.

It’s just another day at the office.

2 comments:

Peter and Nancy said...

I just love this post . . . so real and funny and sigh-provoking all at the same time. It rings true for most of us who share the same "office," I bet. If you add in some math-homework correcting and dog barf, it sounds a lot like my week. :o) Hope you kick the strep and pink eye before everyone shares it.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

That is just a sweet and normal day in the life of a mom. I would like to see those "wild tulips" you found.