Friday, August 19, 2011

Pie With Heart

Sometimes I think I should get rid of all my cookbooks.  You can Google any recipe you want on the internet.  And I do that often.  But one of the things I love about cooking from church cookbooks is making recipes of people I know.  It’s fun to think of them when I cook and how their family must have enjoyed the recipe too. 

DSCF7353

I make a manicotti recipe that is one of our favorites.  That one is from my friend’s mom.  They lived in the house across the street from where my sister lives now.  One night when we were having a sleepover the toilet overflowed in the middle of the night.  And we didn’t know what to do but didn’t want to wake her parents.  So I guess we used towels to clean it up.  She probably would have rather us just wake her at 2 a.m.

Anyway, at this time of the year when people give away big bags of this stuff, it’s time to make pie.

DSCF7350

I hadn’t made this recipe in a while and it brought back great memories of a different cook from our church, Helen.  She is a great woman of faith.  I remember her coming to Sunday school to tell us missionary stories.  I don’t even know if she is still on this earth.  But this is her pie. 

I can just hear her say what it says in the recipe, “The pineapple is what gives this pie special flavor.”  Isn’t that the truth.  I should’ve made two!

Rhubarb, Apple & Pineapple Pie

2 crusts, frozen or made from scratch

1 c. sugar

3 T. flour

1/3 tsp. salt

1 c. peeled chopped tart apple

1 tsp. lemon juice

2 c. fresh or frozen rhubarb, cut up

1/2 c. drained canned crushed pineapple

1/4 c. honey

1 T. butter or margarine

Combine sugar, flour and salt in small mixing bowl.  Place apple slices in large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.  Add rhubarb and pineapple and toss with sugar mixture.  Spoon into unbaked pie shell.  Drizzle with honey and dot with butter.  Moisten pastry overhang with water.  Top with crust and slash vents or make a lattice top.  Press edges together and flute.  Place pie in a 450 degree oven and immediately reduce to 350 degrees.  Bake 60-75 minutes or until center is bubbly and crust is brown. 

DSCF7352

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Helen is alive and well. Just saw her at church last time we were at Calvary. She remarried a few years ago and they just got back from a trip to Alaska.! Next time I see her I'll tell her you made her pie and blogged about her. Sweet!
And the pie looks yummy-Dad would be there in a jif if he could!!!

Mom