Monday, August 22, 2011

Read If You’re Lonely

One of my daughters is a tomboy.  She loves to play with boys.  She hates to play with Barbies.  Today fresh off a play date with one of her male friends, we had some friends over that were boys.  She tapped me on the shoulder and whispered with a grin, “I have been playing with boys A LOT!”

While she loves the rough and tumble boy play, it often leaves her feeling lonely.  She doesn’t fit in with the girls even though she sometimes wants to.  She also doesn’t always fit in with the boys. 

One day this winter she was really sad about that.  I don’t really know where I came up with this but I told her; When you need a friend, be a friend.  I encouraged her that when she feels lonely she should look for someone who needs a friend. 

I struggle with feeling lonely at times.  Which is silly since I  don’t even get to go to the bathroom by myself.  I sometimes feel down and like the world is passing me by.  It’s easy to fall into self-pity. 

Instead, I would like to invest my energies into looking around for someone that needs a friend.  Or needs encouragement.  And then instead of turning inward, reach out.

I think all women feel lonely and useless at times. It seems like a good way for Satan to attack us and our calling.  Wouldn’t you rather fight back by passing on love and encouragement?  I would. 

Whether you feel lonely because you just had a baby or your baby just left or you are left with no baby.  Whether you are down because you have a job or don’t have a job.  If you have health or financial needs, prayerfully consider reaching out. 

Pray for God to bring to mind another woman that could use a friend.  Maybe someone that you wouldn’t normally think of socializing with.  It could be someone way older than you.  Or someone much younger.  One of my girls made and delivered zucchini bread to one of the older widows  in our church this week. 

When I saw the woman on Sunday she told me how much she appreciated it because she really needed someone to talk to.  She was worried Jenna didn’t have a chance to get a word in.  However, if you know Jenna that usually isn’t a problem!

Offer a lunch date.  Or a play date.  Send a note.  Have a baby shower.  Make it more than a one time thing.  Pour love and encouragement into their lives .  The very love and encouragement you desire. 

How does that work if we are already empty?  Look to Jesus for the love and encouragement you need.  As you give, your cup will run over.  He’ll give you all you need and more. 

Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows. 
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
   forever.

Psalm 23:4-6

Don’t sit home sulking.  That’s what I want to do most days.  Let’s fight back with encouragement. 

Kindergarten can be lonely.  So can adulthood.  Look for someone that needs a friend.  And be there for them.  It will make the world a better place.  And you won’t feel lonely anymore.

2 comments:

Wayne Pederson said...

I love this concept of taking eyes off self and focus on others.

Anonymous said...

You are so good at reaching out to others!!

Mom