Monday, March 07, 2011

Just Two Miles

I’m sitting on the couch watching “Turner and Hooch” with Jenna.  She’s eating a popsicle and recovering from her tonsillectomy this morning.  She is certainly her mother’s daughter.  Having her throat cut open and stitched shut has not stopped her from talking a blue streak!

I have to apologize because here begins the “how running applies to life” posts.  I’ll try to hold them to a minimum but I can make no guarantees. 

Life is overwhelming.  At times it can feel impossible to go on.  Just this weekend I talked to many people who were overwhelmed with situations in their lives.  Almost to the point of despair.  I’ve been there.  I’ve been overwhelmed by life stuff that had serious implications.  And I’ve been overwhelmed by joyful stuff too.

When I was pregnant for the first time, I remember having moments of panic thinking about all it would take to raise a child.  Thousands of dollars.  Wisdom, time patience.  Should we send the baby to preschool?  How are we going to pay for college?  How are we going to handle teenage rebellion?

And when I was pregnant the second time, I remember having moments of panic.  How was I going to take care of two kids?  How would we afford it?  What if they hate each other? 

And when I was pregnant the third time, I remember having moments of panic when I wasn’t busy chasing around a 2 year old and 10 month old and was awake enough to put together a coherent thought.  How was I going to handle three?  We were going to be totally outnumbered! 

The moments of panic keep coming.  Stuff comes at us in  life that is so overwhelming it feels like there is no way we’ll be able to get through it.  Lost jobs, lost children, being forced to give up children, financial ruin and lives rocked by divorce are beyond overwhelming.  A colicky baby or strong willed two year old can be enough to put you over the edge.  So what to do?

I recently had another moment of panic when I got into the half marathon.  I cannot run thirteen miles.  No way.  But I printed out the training log, and guess what I had to do on day one?  Run two miles.  Two measly miles.

And guess what I had to do on day two?  Run two miles.  It said it didn’t even matter if you couldn’t run the whole way… just keep moving.  And a light clicked on in my heart.  I can’t worry about things months and years in the future.  I can only do what God has put in front of me today. 

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Matthew 6:33-34

In those moments of panic and when you feel overwhelmed, just run two miles.  Love Jesus.  Take care of the baby.  Feed the baby.  Love the baby.  Pray for wisdom.  Pray for patience.  Every day you will get stronger and add more miles.  Pretty soon you’ll be able to go the distance.  You’ll cross the finish line. 

Just run two miles.  Speaking of which, the treadmill is calling my name!

1 comment:

Bonny said...

I literally JUST finished writing tomorrow's post about running when I clicked here to read this.

Run Michelle Run!