Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Not Good at Love

Mike told me about a lively discussion at a prayer service planning meeting. One man suggested that they should be thankful for certain leaders of our country because the Bible tells us to. Some of the people in the room looked like they were about to fall off their chairs or go into cardiac arrest. Thankful for our non-republican leaders? How could good Christians do a thing like that? If we are opposed to that then we may want to rethink basing prayer meetings on a verse like 1 Timothy 2:1-2.

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."

The guy was right, it does say to be thankful for everyone. A verse God brought to Mike's mind was from the love chapter in 1 Corinthians 13.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs." 1 Corinthians 13:4-5

I know, blah, blah. I have heard that chapter read at about 100 million weddings. But when I studied Corinthians a few years ago I learned something. The placement of that chapter is encouraging the people in Corinth to love each because they are spending all their time and energy fighting over which spiritual gifts are better. Seriously. Why does this happen in the church. We keep fighting over things that allow us to lose focus on the message of Christ.

Who am I not loving? I've been thinking about that this morning. The answer is stunning. I should be good at love. I am a Christian, a wife, a mother and a friend. But trust me I am not good at love. I have been keeping records of wrong. I have been easily angered. I have been rude and selfish.

So let me ask, who are you unable to love? Are you keeping score?

Political leaders that make decisions you don't agree with?
Love keeps no record of wrongs.

Family members, mother in laws, who are strange, overbearing or don't care?
Love keeps no record of wrongs.

Husbands who leave their clothes on the floor or worse?
Love keeps no record of wrongs.

Kids that have a strong will or make bad choices or are constantly demanding our time?
Love keeps no record of wrongs.

Church leadership that does things differently that you would?
Love keeps no record of wrongs.

Christians should be the best at love. We follow the God who is love. Do you think that's what the world sees when they look at Christians? Is is what others see when they look at you?

If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.

1 John 4:15-16

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post! It always seems that you are always blogging about what I need to hear. I'm thankful to read your posts!