Monday, October 12, 2009

House of Pink

Growing up as the only boy in a house full of girls, pink and hormones has its benefits: No hand-me downs, your own guy cave and bathroom in the basement, getting to go with Dad to do guy stuff like Men’s retreats, football parties and bow shooting. 

It also seems to have its drawbacks and can be difficult.  Like when you constantly have a Barbie pool party going on in your bathroom sink, having birthday presents wrapped in Dora wrapping paper, knowing all the words to the High School Musical soundtrack and being very familiar with the ups and downs of a girls mood. 

Being the oldest and the most laid back does lend to him being a little forgotten at times.   Like when he comes up and tells me I need to clean his bathroom.  You don’t even want to know how nasty it needs to be before a ten year old boy will deem it dirty.  This is the kid who went to my sisters for a few days and forgot to pack underwear and a toothbrush.  Rubber gloves are not optional.

 

When he finally came up the stairs for church on Sunday, I asked what took him so long and he told me he was combing his hair.  He said it takes a long time to comb it because of this. 

blog10.12 002

Apparently, he has grown some sideburns Elvis would be jealous of.  He also had the start of a tail growing in the back.  I thought maybe I really was neglecting him since I hadn’t noticed.  But he has carefully been combing the burns behind his ears.  I did what any good mother would do and coupon in hand, took him straight to Great Clips after school. 

I can’t change the fact that he lives in a houseful of girls, but I can try to help make sure he doesn’t have to spend his weekend hiding his sideburns or start shaving in fifth grade.

No comments: