Thursday, June 25, 2009

SuperMom

Sometimes people tell me I'm a good mom. They think that because they don't live with me. They aren't here when I'm cranky and snap back for no reason. Or when I don't feel like cooking dinner and would rather do my own thing than attend to their needs. Or when I'm more interested in finding out who's on FaceBook than playing with my kids. Really I'm not a good mom.

Some days I wake up and think I can do it all. I'll exercise and have quiet time before everyone wakes up. We can have extra kids here, I can wash all the bedding and line dry it. I can make cookies and go to the beach. I can potty train and run errands and go to four baseball games a week. But it doesn't work.

The weeks get so busy and go so fast. Last week, my friend and I wanted to bring a meal to someone that just had twins. I had to call and admit that I just couldn't make it work.

I can't do it all.

And I don't like it one bit. I want to be supermom. But I'm just me, a sinner saved by grace.

When I have to admit that I can't do it all and slow down, I might just be at my best. By slowing down and getting my heart where it needs to be most I become a better Mom. I change things to put my family first. I ask for help. I make supper and do laundry. I visit with my husband at night. I know other people can bring meals and throw showers, but no one else can mother my children. I start to find joy in doing the most important things, not everything.

I become supermom.

Psalm 90:17
May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us;
establish the work of our hands for us -
yes, establish the work of our hands.

1 comment:

Shan in Japan said...

Since I am not a mom I don't try to be supermom. But, I do try to be supermissionary! Thanks for the reminder that I can't do it all-and don't have to. Joy is all around to be experienced if I would just slow down and notice:)