Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wedding Season

Wedding season is fast approaching. I've already received some beautiful save the date cards from kids that were in grade school when we moved here! And since this post is going to talk a lot about weddings, I am tempted to put one of my wedding pictures on here but I don't think digital cameras existed when we got married so all I have are prints and negatives and what good are those?

Purity is definitely something I want to instill in my kids. In fact, I have all the stuff for "Passport 2 Purity" sitting on my shelf waiting for the chance to take Jenna away for a day or two.

Purity is also something that I was taught: Sex outside marriage is a sin. Got it. But I think what drove me to be serious about purity was pretty legalistic. It had more to do with being good and not getting pregnant and pleasing my parents and church. Not that there isn't a place for that kind of extrinsic motivation.

On the other side of the coin, I have a friend who said she didn't feel beautiful on her wedding day because of her lack of purity. Her husband hates it when she says that. She may have been taught like me that it is almost an unforgivable sin. However, God forgives. He forgives the fact that I have impure thoughts just like he forgives impure actions. 1 John 1:9 anyone?

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just
and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.


In the last week of Bible study on Corinthians we read this verse:

2 Corinthians 11:2
I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy.
I promised you to one husband, to Christ,
so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him.

Paul is telling the Corinthian church that he wants them to love Christ most. He wants them to be reserved for Christ and Christ only without blemish.

As I teach my kids the Godly value of purity , I want them to see it in relation to Christ and the church. Yes, there are consequences to bad decisions. But more importantly, I want them to see the joy and anticipation of the church, perfect and pure, being presented to Christ. And what a beautiful picture that is.

In my own personal battle against sin, this gives me reason to fight the good fight of faith. Sometimes I let myself question and wonder why I care if I do a few bad things here or there. I might think a bad thought or have a bad attitude or talk bad about someone else, but it's not as bad as SOME people. That, my friends, is spiritual pride. Sin is sin to God. And this verse shows me the non-legalistic motivation for staying sin-free and confessing my sins: a coming reunion with the ultimate Groom, Jesus Christ.

I remember in the weeks leading up to my wedding going to hear a friend sing at her church. She and her mom looked at me and smiled. They said, "She's glowing!"
All the months of preparations were about to come to fruition and I was about to burst with joy.

Oh do I want to be ready! I want to feel beautiful and be free when he comes for me.

1 comment:

Shan in Japan said...

Me, too! I want to be ready for my Groom!

Thanks for a great post:)