Monday, April 06, 2009

Thankfulness

We live in the most amazing times and yet we tend to be an ungrateful generation. Here's a link to a clip that makes the point! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGYx35ypus

Once again I have been overwhelmed at the amount of trials people I know or know of are facing. A baby with heart problems, a teenager paralyzed from a ski accident, people facing the return of their cancer, and ministry crises.

I have heard several times about keeping a thankfulness journal. Actually at my ECFE parenting time we talked about it a few weeks ago from a secular perspective. The teacher talked about writing down 5 things you are thankful for every night even if it's just "I'm still breathing".

I have never felt the need to keep a journal on being thankful because of course I am thankful! I am a Christian and a Pastor's wife! But I find myself grumbling and complaining about a lot.

I've also read some thankfulness lists over the last few months written by people who are in very difficult circumstances. One of which lost a child this fall and another who's child was paralyzed in an skiing accident. It's amazing to read the things for which they are grateful even in the midst of anguish and pain.

If they can do it - so can I!

I'm thankful that:


~Jesus sacrificially saved me from my sins and will provide me with eternal life with Him!
~I have hope beyond this life.
~I have a wonderful husband and kids.
~we are all healthy.
~we have access to a doctor and medicine when we need it.
~I can walk.
~I am able to take care of my family.
~although I am a little heavier than I would like, it reminds me that I have plenty to eat.
~we have clean water.
~we have a warm dry house that can also be cool in the summer.
~we all have our own beds.
~we have two vehicles.
~we have a great extended family.
~we have a ton of super friends.

I'm sure I cannot commit to making this a nightly practice, but it's a discipline worth pursuing occasionally just to keep me grounded and away from sulking, self-pity and greed. As we battle the materialism of our culture, this is a practice I need. Thankfulness directs my thoughts and hearts toward Christ - which is right where they should be.

Psalm 105:1
Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done.

Psalm 107:1
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michelle, I really needed to hear that and keep things in perspectives.

Lisa K