Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Ouch - That Hurts!

Don't you just hate being hurt? I'm not talking about a physical injury like my poor little foot that can be dealt with by a little antibiotic ointment and a band aid. I'm talking about heart hurt. And I think it stings more than any physical injury I've had. That is also why I think as parents we want so desperately to protect our kids from having to deal with the pain and sorrow of heart hurt.

I can remember the first time one of my friends didn't want to play with me or mean words from another child all the way back to grade school. It's a double whammy because I've got a long memory and I'm sensitive. Mike thinks it's crazy that I can remember all that stuff. Maybe more often for women they live with those memories and scars all their lives. People say kids can be cruel, but have they hung around any grown ups lately? News Flash: They can be mean too!

A parent of a little girl shared me this winter that there were boys calling her daugher "fat". My first reaction was anger! My second reaction was devastating sadness for her because she will never forget those words. They will echo in her mind for years to come.

But the reality is, we're going to be hurt and so are our kids. Sometimes it will be a direct result of our faith in Jesus Christ. Sometimes it is as simple as not getting invited to a birthday party.

I was licking my wounds today over a few recent things and it stinks! But do you know what it did? It drove me straight into God's loving arms: the only place that I know will truly provide refuge, comfort and healing. I shed a few tears, read the Bible and started to give it all over to Him.

And THAT is what I want to teach my kids. Not to avoid hurt, not to harden their hearts and hurt back, not that Mommy will go clean house on the playground, but to take it to God. And then, through His power, to turn around and love those people back. What an unbelievable lesson! It's one I'm still learning.


Psalm 18:2
"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."


Matthew 5:10
"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Matthew 5:44
"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

No comments: