Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Most Important Place to Take Our Kids

Sorry, I haven't blogged in a few days. I suppose I could say I've been "busy". But actually I've had some technical difficulties with my computer. I've spent several hours working on my blog with nothing to show for it except my realization that I really know nothing about computers! Anyway, I'll get on with it:

We take our kids to lots of places: the dentist, the doctor, soccer practice, school, church, boy scouts, and piano lessons - just to name a few! But how often do we take them to the throne of grace, the most important appointment by far?

Why is it so hard to spend time praying for our kids? And even when I do pray for them I find myself praying things like: help them to have a good day, protect them and help them on their test or heal their ear infection. Those are good things to pray about - we should take everything to God. However, I desire to pray on a much deeper level for them - their hearts, sin, salvation and character. I feel kind of at a loss on how to dive into a deeper prayer life on their behalf.

I've tried to read some books on the subject, but they are still on the shelf half read. Then I found these little prayer cards from Pray! Magazine. They are called 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Children and Spiritual Blessings to Pray for Your Children. I can keep them in my bible and pray one or two virtues or blessings a day. I've been doing that this summer and it's been really helpful to me. It's simple and that's what I need. It just gets me right to the heart of the types of things I want to pray for and they all have scripture references. I am not sure if it is kind of a fast food approach to prayer, but I know that it is getting me started on the road I want to be on. I hope that they will be a means to my goal of a deeper prayer life for my kids.

When I met my mother-in-law 12 years ago, she told me she had been praying for me for 20 years. Each day she prayed for her children's future spouses. What an amazing ministry and testimony (I've added that one to my list). It's very humbling for me to think about that and the lack of dedication I've had. Our kids are God's and praying for them is like releasing them back to Him so He can fulfill his plans and purposes for their lives. Is there any better place for them to be?

Mike and I don't pray together as often as we'd like. Yesterday, it was our goal to spend some time in prayer for our kids and some other issues. He got tied up at the office and didn't get home until the kids were hungry for lunch. Annie was cranky and ready for a nap. Even with our good intentions it didn't seem like it was going to happen. After we took care of a few needs, we had a great prayer time together. Could it be that just like going to church on Sundays, there is someone who wants to stand in the way of our prayer time?

I'm trying to use some of the time I would ordinarily spend watching T.V. to pray. It's a discipline and I'm sure it will be a process to get where I want to be. But I desperately want to be there.

I ordered a bunch of the prayer cards and would be happy to send a set to you. Just email me your snail mail address at anamaniacs@juno.com. I hope they will be as helpful to you as they have been to me!

1 Samuel 12:23
"As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you."

Romans 12:12
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

No comments: