Monday, August 14, 2006

Mission: My Kids' Friends

My sister works in the children's ministry department at her church. She had this on her blog:

Top Ten Issues Facing Families

Monday Morning Insight quoted a study by Lifeway, identifying the top ten issues facing families.

1. Anti-Christian culture;
2. Divorce;
3. Busyness;
4. Absent father figure;
5. Lack of discipline;
6. Financial pressures;
7. Lack of communication;
8. Negative media influences;
9. Balance of work and family;
10. Materialism.

It makes me think of the kids that my kids are making friends with at school, at church, in the neighborhood and the community and what is going on at home for a lot of them. Here's another great opportunity for us to get our missionary capes on! Just having them over to our house and spending time with them is a great outreach.

And it's sad because usually I just think about all the extra work involved in having extra kids over. But I'm realizing that some of these kids, although they may have every material thing they want, don't have a close, personal connection with their parents. They are lonely and hurting.

I'm also envisioning friends that are in need of material things their parents either can't, won't or don't care enough to provide. Either way it is a huge opportunity to share the love of Christ.

I need to adjust my attitude! I want our home to be a place where friends want to come and hang out - a place of peace and refuge. May there be lots of cookies eaten, paintings made(messes made), bikes riden and joy shared!

What are your thoughts - how do you make your home a place of refuge - not only for your family, but for friends as well?


And a scary thought: how many of the things on the list apply to my family? Not all of them, but there are a few that hit home!

Matthew 25:34-39
"Then the King will say to those on his right,
'Come, you who are blessed by my Father;
take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
I was a stranger and you invited me in,
I needed clothes and you clothed me,
I was sick and you looked after me,
I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous man will answer him,
'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you,
or thirsty and give you something to drink?
When did we see you a stranger and invite you in,
or needing clothes and clothe you?
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?"
"The King will reply,'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

No comments: