Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Had Fun Today

sledding 001

I took a twenty-four hour trip with my youngest girls yesterday and today.  We drove for four hours to attend a party for my Grandma’s 89th birthday.  It was a beautiful sunny day.  The trees were white with frost.  I enjoyed the trip and seeing my family.  I even had time to go to my favorite thrift store! 

Then nighttime came. At 11:00 p.m.  Maren and Annie were running around the house jumping off the steps.  They’d had pop, cake, and candy.  They were excited to see everyone.  At midnight, Annie went to bed with my mom.  Maren finally fell asleep with me.  Until 2:00 a.m.  She came to the bathroom with me, watched T.V., and then fell asleep with me in the chair.  I slept sitting up the rest of the night.  I think I got 3 hours of sleep. 

I had to head home right away the next morning to go to the “girl movie” with Jenna at school.  I was tired driving home and so were they.  I started to let our fun road trip get stressful.  They wanted this and that.  They couldn’t agree on a movie.  They couldn’t hear the movie.  They couldn’t reach their snacks.  Finally, they both fell asleep for a while.

We stopped for lunch and gas.  It took us 30 minutes for our potty stop.  I was getting frustrated.  I wanted to get going.  I wanted them to hurry.  My answers were getting short and snippy.

Annie got out the iPod and started listening to Go Fish, her favorite.  She kept playing the song “Snooze”.  And listening to that song, I realized that I am really glad these girls are mine.  I am glad that we got to go on a trip together.  I treasure the time with them.  I want every day to be a special memory.

It’s so easy to lose sight of what really matters.  At the end of the day, does it matter if it takes us 30 minutes in the bathroom?  Or if we have to stop another time?  Does is matter if there are skittles all over the floor or I have to listen to a kids movie instead of what I’d like? 

What matters is not letting the little things ruin a fun trip.  What matters is laughing when they trick you with a fake stick of gum or noticing airplanes making stripes in the sky.  What matters is making memories.  What matters is loving the time we have with them.

Snooze

Jamison J. Statema

Verse 1
I had fun today doin’ what we did
I’m so glad that you’re my kid
I love all the time that we spend
I hope our adventures never end
But . . .

Chorus
The day is over now
Another memory
I had good time being with you
I hope you had a good time being with me
Tomorrow is another day
We haven’t got a minute to lose
So lay your head down so you can rest up
It’s time to take a snooze

Verse 2
A perfect little product of God’s design
I still can’t believe that you are mine
Time with you is a treasure for me
So much to do and so much to see
But . . .

Verse 3
Before you fall to sleep tonight
Let’s fold our hands and close our eyes
You thank the Lord for all you did
And I’ll thank Him that you’re my kid
Chorus
© 2005 Found Free Music (ASCAP)
Administered by Fun Attic Music

2 comments:

Molly Broderick said...

Awwww, made me cry! Last night when we finally home, Daniel just RELAXED in my arms and fell asleep. Love it, Michelle!

Josh and Kristi said...

I appreciate your insights, and my kids (and me) love Go Fish too!