Saturday, September 26, 2009

Who's In Charge Here?

Sometimes I wonder who is in charge around here. Like when I was getting in the shower and Abby came and handed me the phone. I asked who it was and she said, "I made a mistake." When I said Hello? the voice on the other end was annoyed. She said, "So, would you like to order Smooth Magic Makeup?" I started laughing and said no. It's hard to give your kid a strict talking to about proper phone usage when you are laughing. In her defense, they do repeatedly say on the commercial to "Call Now!"

After a long, busy week filled with carnival planning and shopping, company, Mike's football game and sleepovers, today was fall fest: ECFE carnival and cupcakes baked for the baseball fundraiser. We have a birthday party to go to tonight and I still have to figure out what on earth I'm going to do with my Sunday school class in the morning. I'm tired. There are lots of things weighing heavily on my heart like marriages breaking up and people with cancer. I'm too fried to write about the things I want to.

Remember I was going to slow down? I was going to choose my family? So, who's in charge here? I let my schedule get out of control this week and weekend by letting other people set the pace for my life and not saying no. There will always be those times when a lot of things land on the same week but I can't just want things to be slow, I have to choose it.

When I'm tired and fried, I let the kids run around, eat brownies for lunch and watch movies or infomercials. That may or may not be what they are doing right now. I don't have the energy to clean or do laundry. I get crabby.

I think it's going to take discipline to change things. Discipline seems to be an area that is severely lacking in my life. I'm going to have to practice the discipline of saying no to activities, food, laziness so I can say yes to God, my husband and my family.

2 Timothy 1:6-7
For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.


Proverbs 5:21-23
For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD ,
and he examines all his paths.
The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him;
the cords of his sin hold him fast.
He will die for lack of discipline,
led astray by his own great folly.

3 comments:

Laura said...

yes. yes. and yes. though no one called an inframercial and we did actually have a sit-down dinner (as opposed to those ones where i munch on junk fook in the kitchen while the kids sit at the table eating sandwhiches and an assortment of left overs and cold-i mean fresh - veggies that i don't have to cook), i did have to choose to put on my big girl pants today and do many things i din't want to. i did the dishes and picked up the house several times and went outside to watch my escape artists 2 yr old instead of sending my 8 yr old to do it for me. but EVERY descion today was a major choice. discipline. yuck. the verse in proverbs you posted is so ture - i will die for lack of discipline. thank you for your always timely posts.

PW BethAnn said...

Oh man...I am so there! Chaos has been slowly creeping up on me lately and I have been convicted that I am sorely lacking in discipline...and order...and on and on! Thank you, dear heart, for posting your thoughts and the verses - I needed that!

Peter and Nancy said...

Those burdens (knowing other people's pains and struggles) are so heavy sometimes when you have the inside track through your husband's work. I've been there myself (wait . . . I'm kinda there right now).

Sleep well, knowing our God never sleeps. We always get a new chance for discipline tomorrow!
Hugs,
Nancy