Saturday, September 12, 2009

Night Life

Last week we did something very out of the ordinary for us. We went out at 10:00 p.m. Usually we don't go out and usually we are snoring on the couch by then. The Hobo Nephews of Uncle Frank were having a CD release party. Our daughter goes to school with the daughter of one of the band members. They are an awesome folk rock type band and super fun to listen to.

It was a long way from my usual mommy world. A long way. And let me just say that I had no idea Duluth had a night life. It is a college town and all but I was surprised. The night life at the college I went to consisted of .... hmmm. I went to a small Christian college. It was wild when we had a watergun fight or threw someone in the pool and were told to quiet down by the scary campus security guy aka my future husband.

I didn't bother to bring my purse since Mike had money. Well, apparently you need an I.D. to get in to these places. Luckily I don't really look 21 anymore and our friend vouched for me.

As the concert goers trickled in I felt a little old. I think the median age in the crowd was 21. The people watching was almost as good as the music. When I was in high school the alternative/grunge movement was just beginning to break into mainstream. The preppy fads were giving way to birkenstocks with wool socks and long flowing skirts. I never really fell into that since I liked my polo shirts and plaid boat shoes. I know, gag me with a spoon.

Things I saw that made me feel right at home:
stirrup pants, high tops, skinny jeans with pink slouch cowboy boots, and a sweater wrapped around the shoulders. I was all over that look in junior high.

Things that were new to me: flasks hung around hips with twine, flaming red mohawks, and folk dancing - shoes and bras optional.

And then there were the capes. One young lady with bright pink hair donned a cape that looked like a child's blanket. That seemed pretty unusual until a big guy came in with a green velvet hooded cape that had sparkles all over it. They both had fun utilizing them in their dancing! It was a sight to behold.

Then there was Harley guy. He stood in the middle of the crowd with his leather jacket and boots and slightly bobbed his head. I guess that's how bikers folk dance.

The next day it all felt kind of like a dream. Mostly because I was half asleep all day but I'm glad I got to see Duluth after dark. I think I'll stay in my mommy world for a while now or at least until I get my hearing comes back.

No comments: