Saturday, October 04, 2008

These Are Days . . . To Remember?

Do you know the song? I'd like to have it as the soundtrack for my life. However, a lot of days these days don't seem worth remembering. Days where I don't leave the house and I wonder why I bother to shower. The only person I will probably see today outside my family is the guy pumping our septic tank!

I really wanted to go with Mike today to see a dear man from our church that is in hospice. I just love this couple! But of course, there is no one to watch our kids. So here I am stuck at my "job" again.

I am reading a book called "Everyday Talk" by John Younts. I have no idea who he is, but we got the book free at the conference we went to last weekend. It's main point is that we need to use everyday opportunities to share Christ with our kids. They aren't dressed up, out and about days. Just Saturdays at home in my running clothes - and I am not planning on going running! When I am playing with the kids or doing laundry are the times that I am able to teach and talk with my kids. And there are a lot of days like this in comparison to big events or special days.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 says, "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again." (NLT)

I need to have my heart fixed on Jesus and his word. And I need to use all the many precious days God has given me with my kids for His glory. If I am always busy and out and about it is harder for these times to come.

So these ARE days to remember! I need to get my focus right and be thankful for days like today.

No comments: