Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mrs. Flexibility

I am a former gymnast (kind of) but flexibility just isn't my thing! I had big plans for this weekend. Friday, the little girls and I had ECFE. I was planning to walk there and then have lunch with Mike afterward. Then Jenna woke up sick and stayed home from school. Scrap that plan! Today, Mike and Grant are going bird hunting and the girls and I were going to go shopping. Jenna is still sick and now Annie is too. Scrap that plan. We have to go to a wedding today and we were going to bring the kids with us. I guess I better try to find a babysitter and we'll bow out of the reception.

I'm not that organized of a person, but I really like to stick to the plans that are in place. It just doesn't settle well with me. Being flexible is the only way to survive life with kids or life at all for that matter.

More often than not things don't work out according to plan and I'm trying to learn not to let it get to me. Going with the flow is a way that I can serve my kids and husband by being willing to put my own agenda to the side to deal with theirs. I want them to know that they are more important than walks or shopping or schedule.

It seems like God is good at slowing us down through sickness and changes of plan. It reminds me of what is important in life. A lot of times ministering to those around us cause us to have to be flexible. The most important times to show God's love often come unexpectedly. The pastor that was Mike's mentor for our first year of ministry had a sign in his office that said "Ministry is the person standing in front of you". Not the next thing on your calendar or to do list.

So I'm trying to learn to embrace change in plans and serve, whether it's with my family, my church family or a stranger. It's also a really important lesson I want my kids to learn. I hope they see me going out of my way and even being inconvenienced for the needs of others. It may affect our families finances or holiday plans, but it allows us to slow down and show the love of Christ to those around us.

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.


Ephesians 6:7
Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men.

Galatians 5:13
You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature, rather, serve on another in love.

No comments: