Monday, August 28, 2006

Why Mommy?

"We have to go to the grocery store."
"Why?"
"Because we need more food."
"Why?"
"Because we ate it all."
"Why?"
"Because we were hungry."
"Why?"
"Because hunger tells us we need more food."
"Why?"
"We need food to grow big and strong."
"Why?"
"Because that's how God made us."
"Why?"
"Because he just did - now get your shoes!"
"Why?"
"Because you need your shoes to go to the grocery store!"
"Why?"

Anyone who has had a toddler can relate to that precious conversation. I find myself trying to reason with them a lot which only leads to more frustration. We all have a natural curiosity. I find myself asking God "Why?" a lot. I wonder how irritating I am? But I was specifically asking why in relation to submission.

There is a bigger picture than just the fact that God told us to submit. I can read and I know it is in the Bible. But, WHY? Did he just think it would be interesting to watch me try? No, I suppose He has a reason for it just like I had a reason to go to the grocery store. I am glad that God is so patient with my questioning.

I think He asks us to submit because it is one of the ways he is making us like Him. As I submit, I am putting aside my needs, sacrificing, becoming more humble and gentle and thus becoming more godly. The point is that he wants us to be molded here on this earth and this is one of the ways that he scrunches my selfish and prideful heart into his likeness. So, I feel a little better about submission just thinking that it is really for my benefit, right?

And I think there is an added benefit with my kids. As they see me submitting to their Dad and ultimately God, they see Jesus in me. It's not always easy and I think it is okay for them to see that too. I want to be genuine with them, at times struggling to follow and obey God is part of life here on earth.

I know a few women that are so good at the submission thing. I can see them doing things and going places that wouldn't be their first choice, putting their husbands plans, jobs, needs, desires, agendas and dreams ahead of their own. And guess what? It is not pathetic, like a little puppy dog on a leash, it is Beautiful! I hope God will help me shine that kind of beauty someday - the beauty of reflecting His glory!

Ephesians 5:1-2
"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children
and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself
up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

No comments: