Friday, November 11, 2011

Joy Sucker ~ Part One

It happened again the other day.  I’ve experienced it many times before.  I go to a meeting all excited about whatever it is we are planning, only to have all my joy and excitement sucked away by a joy sucker. 

Oh, you know the type.  They can always find something wrong with the plan, something negative to say or have some ominous comment. 

It kind of reminds me of this.

So, I left yet another meeting feeling like I had been popped in the chin.  Sometimes it seems easy enough to shake it.  But this it just sapped all my joy.  I moped around like a limp noodle for a few days.  I couldn’t really focus and I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

I called God out on this one.  I mean, really, what gives?  Here we are working, working, working for Him and this is what we get? 

Do you know what happened?  I started to think of Bible verses.  Verses that made me realize that if some joy sucker can steal my joy, then I’m doing something wrong.

If my joy is in plans or events or meetings, it will be really easy to strip it away.  But, if my joy is in Christ no one can suck it away. 

“Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord.  I will be joyful in God my Savior.”  Habakkuk 3:17-18

“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”  John 15:11

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

When I feel like my joy is all sucked up and don’t want to press on, I have to wonder where is my joy coming from?  If it’s from anything or anyone other than Jesus Christ I’ve got problems.  Then the whole world becomes a giant joy sucker.

When Christ is my joy, it’s everlasting.   No one can suck it away. 

No comments: