Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Animal Prayers

I’m not an animal lover.  Well, I didn’t used to be until God blessed me with kids that do.  Now we have two dog and two bunnies.  I feel overly satisfied with that.

I went to pick Jenna up late last night from the volleyball bus.  When we got out of the car, I heard a funny sound.  It sounded like the alarms were going off at the gas plant again.  It’s always comforting to know there could be an explosion at any moment a stone’s throw from your house.  But it was too soft.  Maybe an explosion would be better than what we actually found.

It sounded like… meowing?  Jenna hopped out of the car and went running. 

“A cat, a cat! There’s a cat under the deck”. 

And so there was.  It is actually a very friendly kitten.  She went in and woke Abby. 

“Can we keep it?” they echoed in unison.

“Why not?  As long as it doesn’t come in the house.”  I said.

“You let two wild dogs in the house, but you won’t let one little kitten in?”  they said.

Mike is concerned.  He doesn’t like cats.  But more because he feels like people are going to think he drugged me or something.  Maybe he’s abusing the submission principle and forcing me to acquire animals now that we are done having babies. 

He says if we feed a cat it will never go away.  Then he goes to get some dog food for it, which it wolfed right down. 

They got a blanket for it and put it in our pet carrier for the night. 

DSCF7768

As the girls are getting into bed, Jenna starts jumping up and down. 

“I’ve been praying for a baby animal to take care of!” 

How do you argue with that?  It’s seriously a dream come true for them.  A concrete answer to the prayer of an eleven year old.

When they woke up this morning they ran to tell Annie.  All three girls were on my bed at 6:30 a.m., they couldn’t have been more excited had it been Christmas.

We told them we have to try to find out if it belongs to anyone.  We are not Keller Animal Rescue. 

This morning Maren and I put it in the kennel to keep it away from the dogs. 

DSCF7767

It got right out and made itself at home on the deck.

DSCF7774

Buddy and Daisy are very curious.  I have spent most of my morning playing pet rescuer.  It makes sense, since I am the one who loves animals so much.  I even picked the darn thing up.

One thing I’ve learned this year is that pets are a great experience for kids.  It teaches them responsibility and breeds love.

DSCF7772

How can you not go with it when it especially when it comes in the form of answered prayer? 

DSCF7771

We’ll definitely call our neighbors to see if anyone is missing a cat.  It’s possible the answer to prayer is just taking care of it for a while. 

It’s also possible that we’ll buy a little cat food when we are out on errands this morning. 

No comments: