Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Secrets to Being Rich

I have a secret ambition to be rich.

Sometimes I think “If I were just really wealthy, then I could give”.  I would give to orphans, missionaries, churches, non-profits and random people in need.  Wouldn’t it be fun to be able to be a secret millionaire?  I would love to swoop in and give someone their dream.

But I’m a stay at home mom that is married to a pastor.  The cash is not flowing in rapidly.  What is coming is mainly being signed straight over to the grocery story these days.  Sometimes I let myself use the excuse that I can’t give or be generous because I don’t have a lot. 

This week I was reminded of how to be generous and in turn, rich.  We took a drive across the state to visit my Grandparents.  They are 90 and 94 years old and still live in their home.  My Grandpa is a World War II veteran and then he farmed.  They haven’t exactly lived the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  Yet they are some of the most generous people I know.

We grew up loving Christmas.  They start Christmas shopping in January.  We loved to spend our summers on the farm, too.  They always remember birthdays and anniversaries with cookies and cash.

They have entertained so many people in their little farmhouse.  Even now they keep coming.  My kids can’t figure out why we can’t move there.  My kids, my nieces and nephews, my cousins, and many other adopted cousins have been blessed by the generosity of my Grandparents. 

This is what generosity looks like.  Giving with joy.

DSCF6400

Giving homemade treasure chests.

DSCF6404

Giving jewelry keepsakes.

DSCF6405

DSCF6408

Giving with thought.

DSCF6410

As our family grows, they continue to give.  They give of themselves too.  That’s why people keep coming though the door.

DSCF6413

Year after year.

DSCF6415

And why kids says, “I don’t want to leave.”  when it’s time to go.  That’s what it’s like to end life rich.  With love and relationships and giving and fun all around you.  Maybe in amounts that are more than you can handle some days.

I don’t need to give a lot, I just need to give what I have.  My time, my money, my possessions.  It’s not about a fancy house or food or gifts, it’s the heart.  Generosity lives there right next to love.  If your heart is full of that and you give it to others, you will be rich. 

I hope that I am as rich as they are someday.

1 comment:

Peter and Nancy said...

These photos and your tale of their giving are bringing tears to my eyes. Your grandparents are beautiful people.
Nancy