Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Nitty Gritty

Have you ever had one of those days when you don’t want to get out of bed?  And then upon getting out all you want to do is crawl back in, curl up in fetal position and plug your ears?  You’re tired, stressed, unmotivated and overwhelmed.  It isn’t fair:  the cheaters get ahead, the whiners get attention, the rich get richer.  You have a cold coming on and there is a lot of stuff to be done.  Not to mention Christmas shopping, wrapping, mailing and baking. 

I hate when life leaves me feeling battered. It makes me edgy with my kids. I find myself wondering around the house but getting nothing done.  I try to reason with myself; it’s not that bad.  And it certainly is not.  We are healthy, we have a warm house, a job, and two vehicles.  On those days though, being rational really doesn’t help.  It actually makes it worse.  I should be thankful and happy.  If I have it so good, why do I feel so bad?

Normally I just keep on pushing through.  I’m just wondering if there is anything wrong with letting myself feel bad?  Just a little.  Maybe I can take the night off from laundry and cuddle with the family in front of a movie.  I could take a bath or go to bed early.  Or take a minute and call a friend. 

Maybe it will help to just slow down.  But does it?  In the short term, yes. I don’t deny the fact that a little downtime and wallowing is nice.   But the next day?  I am back to square one.

The last place I seem to turn to for my battered little soul is Christ.  A bath will soothe my body, and extra sleep will help my brain but what I really need is a soothed soul.  When I’m in the nitty gritty, tired and unable to handle life,  it’s usually because I’ve been too busy for God.  And that leaves me all dry and prickly.

I read this to the little girls tonight.  It’s exactly the salve my soul needed.  This is the kind of refreshment and encouragement that lasts.  It’s the kind of encouragement that allows you to slow down and keep going.  So just in case you are in the nitty gritty, I thought I’d pass it on before I go get in the bath help my husband process a deer. 

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills-

where does my help come from?

My help comes from the Lord,

the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip-

he who watches over you will not slumber;

Indeed, he who watches over Israel

will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord watches over you -

the Lord is your shade at your right hand;

the sun will not harm you by day,

nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all harm-

he will watch over your life;

the Lord will watch over your coming and going

both now and forevermore.

1 comment:

carebear said...

Thank you for sharing this psalm with me. I needed that too. :)
I'm doing much better tonight than I was this afternoon. I had hit my wall, but luckily my friends and family helped me scale it. Thank you for the prayers. I appreciate them...very much!
Karen