Thursday, November 12, 2009

Is Today The Day?

I have part of my house in order. The upstairs is all clean and I mean clean. As in scrubbed floors, clean counters, dust-free picture frames, clean tub: the works. If you popped in, I would even let you into my bedroom but please don’t open the door to the laundry room, okay? There could be liability issues with that.

Anyway, when the house is in order I feel like I am ready for anything. I take more time to play and read with the kids, I can tackle projects and keep up on everything. I am ready for unexpected guests to drop by. I can drop everything and rearrange my entire schedule at a moments notice.

I love when I’m caught up on the house. I was caught up seven years ago for five minutes. Trust me, those five minutes were bliss.

Unfortunately, my house is usually in some state of disarray. Have you met my five children? If I quit picking up for even five minutes it looks like a hurricane hit. When the house is a wreck it’s so overwhelming that I don’t even know where to start. The basement is in shambles right now and by the time that is in order the upstairs will have issues again.

The problem is my spiritual house is out of order just as much as my physical house. This week we’ve had to flex to meet needs. Things haven’t gone as planned. Just like it seems to be Murphy’s law that when the house is messy and I’m in my pajamas at 2:00 p.m. someone will stop by. I should always be ready for that unexpected company even though I rarely am. I want to be. I want to be able to throw the doors open and welcome people instead of rolling my eyes or quick throwing everything in a bedroom. Not that I’ve ever done that.

When things come up in my life and I’m not spiritually ready I don’t know how to handle it. I want to hide or run or fake it. Having to change my plans feels intrusive and annoying. God is showing me that as I keep my heart right with Jesus I can be ready for His plan. His plan is much more important than what is written on my calendar.

How do I know when my heart house is in order? When I’m focused on Jesus and living for His glory, reading His word and praying for His will. I know what to do, I just often let other things dirty the house. Then I am not ready. I am not ready for life to hit. I am suddenly overwhelmed. It seems like too big of a burden.

It was supposed to be Mike’s day off the other day. We were tired after a busy weekend. He went to the hospital for a visit. Then we had unexpected company. Someone we knew was struggling. A great wonderful surprise. Someone that we’ve been praying for, but hadn’t heard from in months showed up at our door. I honestly was beginning to think that day would never come. But it did.

Those are exactly the things I want to keep my house in order for. Not my physical house, although that helps, but my heart house. I want to open the door and embrace the unexpected that God puts on our doorstep.

So, is today the day?

That the lost friend or family member will show up at your door broken? The thing that you never thought would happen happens? Something you’d totally given up hope on comes through? The call will come for the new job you’ve been looking for? Your house will finally sell? You get the devastating new you’ve been fearing: sickness, loss of a job, marriage trouble,the bad choices of a child or parent?

Is today the day Christ will come back and none of the stuff we worry about will matter anymore?

Today could be the day. Get your house in order.

Colossians 4:2

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-6

Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.

1 comment:

Peter and Nancy said...

I loved the true-life history lessons you posted this week. Incredible. And the hymn was so beautiful!
Nancy