Monday, October 06, 2008

They Are Weak, But He Is Strong!

I've been singing with Maren a lot. She loves singing and doing the actions and it is the best way to get her to sit still for a diaper change. We sing Jesus Loves Me the most. And I realized that the old song is true, even though I usually sing it without thinking about the words. He really is our strength in weakness.

I guess I have learned a lot from other Christians this summer, especially those that are suffering in various ways. We know of another Pastor that had a serious illness and surgery. He was sharing that he is weak and that when he was younger he would have run away from that. But now he is embracing it and accepting God's strength in its place. He has found himself really emotional in worship and just lets it come. All this was a shocking revelation to me. I always try to be strong and in control. If a tear somehow escaped during worship I would quickly wipe it away before anyone saw. After all, this is Northern Minnesota!

I don't want to be weak. I try really hard not to be a girl or wuss and do things on my own. For instance, I grill now. A variety of Pizza, hot dogs, chicken and I have watched BBQ University once or twice. We were having a church dinner this summer after church. I was trying to light our grill and it wouldn't light. I was very disturbed. I just got the tank filled the day before. What could be the problem? A nice man from church came by and informed me I didn't have the gas turned on. So much for being the grill master.

Obviously that is a petty example but still I want to have it all together and in control. Whether it is sickness, lack of money, injury, emotional tragedy or job loss we are put in the position of being needy. Americans don't like to be needy. But when we are we NEED Jesus and we need other believers.

When I am faced with a situation that I can't handle or change, it instantly brings me to my knees. I'm humbled and weak. And now I can see that it's a good place to be. Paul talked about that in 2 Corinthians. He pleaded with the Lord to take his thorn in the flesh. Jesus told him His power was revealed in Paul's weakness. And Paul didn't sulk or complain, He celebrated Christ's work in his life.

As a Mom, I am supposed to have all the answers. (However, they would say Dad knows it all!) I am teaching, correcting, directing the kids in their daily tasks. It isn't natural to let them see my weakness either. Maybe I cry when someone is hurting, when we are watching a TV show or feel like I'm not up to a task. Or maybe our family is persecuted or ridiculed for our beliefs. Or possibly we have some hardships living on a missionary budget with a large family. The truth is if I'm teaching them to love and follow Jesus they need to see my weakness. Because in our weakness we lean on Jesus and see His work.

I want them to see their weakness as a good place to meet Jesus. I want them to embrace it and not run from it. I mean it's not just a song we sing, He really is strong!

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
So to keep me from being too elated by the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, "I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (ESV)

No comments: