Sunday, August 03, 2008

Different Strokes for Different Folks

We went to an outdoor Folk Festival to hear a band we like. And they were great! But I realized while we were sitting there that I do not really fit in with this crowd. There were all sorts of people wearing their tye died outfits, women with no undergarments, dancing around. (For the record, there were a lot of regular people there too) It all seems kind of staged to me. They drive home and stop off at Target just like the rest of us. It's not really a place I feel super comfortable being. I realized that I probably have very different views than almost everyone there. So what on earth were we doing there?

It seems obvious we have to be willing to go to places that are out of our comfort zone in order to reach out to people. Post-modern people don't seem to just pop in to church or even feel the need to go. How comfortable would any of them feel in my church world? They probably feel that my "religion" is a put-on or show too. The problem is we don't go. We are more comfortable staying in our circles of church, family , Bible studies. And we wonder why our outreaches don't work. Why wouldn't one of the tye-die, no bra women want to come to our church's ladies tea? That seems like a no brainer!

Mike goes to the bar in our town. He doesn't drink, but he's right - that's where the people are that need to hear about Jesus. And really, isn't that what Jesus did? He went out to the places no good religious person would go and sought out people that needed Him.

So, I guess I should go to more music festivals and other things that are out of the norm for me. I'm not sure, but I might even get some tye died clothes.

No comments: