Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Decade and a Foot

I wrote this a while ago, but it came back to mind again just the other day as I was picking up. I put one of Grant's new sandals of my foot and it FIT ME! How did that happen? Time moves too fast and it's just another reminder to treasure what God has given me and these years with my kids. I guess God is trying to pound this stuff into my head!

Where does time go? This past winter we celebrated 10 years of ministry at our church and the church's 10th birthday. We had a great weekend of special events to commemorate all that God has done here. Our ministry has changed a lot. I hope we are improving each year as we bring Christ to those around us.

I've changed a lot too. Mike pointed out in his sermon that being here has made him a better man, husband and father. I feel the same way about myself. God has allowed us to grow and mature here. It hasn't all been easy either. There have been a lot of tough times along with the good times. We've had housing issues, marriage issues, depressing and discouraging times. The lessons I've learned have changed me and I wouldn't want to go back to the person I was.

Thinking about it all made me realize that it's too easy to focus on the negatives. And now in retrospect there were so many good times. We've developed friendships with unbelievable families. We've watched their kids grow up, get married, have babies! We've seen people come to our church bruised and broken and watched as God began to heal them. We've seen people turn their lives over to Christ. We've learned to call this little town home.

Throughout the service on Sunday, I missed a lot. Annie had to go potty, there were issues in the nursery, Maren's diaper leaked all over her clothes and so I missed a lot. But I guess that's part of the change, God's given me a more important ministry! I've got my own little congregation of 5 and they are needy like most congregations are. It may not feel as important as the things I used to do like helping on the worship team, setting up or doing the bulletin, but it's the greatest job God has given me to do in my life and I'm going to try to enjoy every minute - even with all the ups and downs!


1 Thessalonians 3:12
May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.

No comments: