Friday, June 27, 2008

Meeting Needs

Have you ever felt like you are constantly meeting other people's needs? The kids need a snack, the baby NEEDS a diapers change, everyone needs clean clothes. Every need seems to be an emergency. Most needs demand my attention, time and energy. Did you ever notice that your husband can have a list of projects to do, start working on them and get them finished without interruption? That never seems to happen to me. There are also needs from our extended families, friends and church. Did anyone ever notice that I might have a need? Like I might NEED to go the bathroom during the day BY MYSELF?

It's an unusual feeling to have my life so full of meeting other peoples needs. I was just reading in a magazine about "me time". They had a whole section on how to cater to yourself because you deserve it! Anything from a trip to a spa to buying that new outfit was important because we live in a self centered world! Now I'm all about getting out and away from things. It is important or I might be writing this from some type of institution some day. But I do think there is danger in the "you deserve it" mentality. The healthy magazines of the world will tell you to slow down, cherish life and center yourself! But I'm pretty sure last time I checked the Bible has a different message: self-sacrifice, humility and seeking to meet the needs of others first or even instead of our own. That is how we become more like Christ and more godly wives, mothers, and friends.

So even though I'd really like to go get my errands done, take a nap and go for a walk, I guess it will take a backseat to reading stories, starting movies, painting fingernails, refereeing fights, dispelling temper tantrums, important projects in the garage and anything else that comes along. I need to keep my eyes fixed on Christ and not ME and allow Christ's example to keep me humble and ready to serve.

Acts 2:45
Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.

Matthew 25:40
I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.

Philipians 2:3-5
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus

2 comments:

Calvary Kids said...

Been there!

Becca Opdahl said...

I should have read this yesterday before I had my little "meltdown". I was just telling Liz the other day that I want to come home from work one day and relax because it was a rough day! Thanks for your reminder!