Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Weighty Issue

Well, now that the fall weather is here, it is time to try to fit back into my jeans! I have lots of pairs from the past few years in a wide array of sizes. I did some shopping this week too. I like going to the little trendy teenagery stores and trying things on and then go over to Penney's to find something like it that is cut for someone over the age of 15. One time my sister and I were shopping in a department store and I realized we were looking at clothes that had "Sag" in the brand name. I quickly ran to Old Navy and looked at little tank tops that I would never wear, but it did make me feel better!

I think we talked about how some women are never happy with the way they look or their weight. I was talking about it to Mike and he had an interesting revelation - a lot of people that are perpetually unhappy with their looks and their weight show a lack on contentment in other areas of their lives. I think I need to search my heart out on this one. Is it possible that I'm not happy with the way I look as well as with my house, my car, my husband and anything else in life? Does anyone see a pattern forming here?

So what's a mom to do? We're getting older, don't have a lot of time for ourselves, and the metabolism is slamming up against a brick wall! I know I need to stop eating too many cookies and dust off my pilates DVD. I can go get my hair done and do my best with my clothes and make up - things I can control. But ultimately I have to Jesus Christ in His rightful place at the center of my life and seek out if this whole weight and looks thing is just part of a bigger issue of lack of contentment.

1 Peter 3:4 (NLT)
"You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."

1 comment:

SingerMamaMelody said...

Hey there Michelle! I SO understand what you're saying about the weight thing and having many different sizes of clothes to sort through. That has been one of my projects this week, actually. I like cookies too, so I understand how hard it is to not eat all those yummy sweet treats.

Also, I really liked reading about letting kids go through tough things so that they can make it through the world. That makes so much sense to me. I'm starting to be less worried about stuff than I was in the beginning with Kristi. But my nature is to be a control freak and make everything right for her...so I'm working on letting go!

Hope you guys are doing well. I love reading your blog!