Saturday, September 16, 2006

Compelled

When we got to gymnastics the other day, the teacher was impressed at how fast Annie could move. Grant proceeded to tell her that not only can she move, she can boogie! Everytime music comes on, she gets down. But that's not the kind of getting down that I want to talk about.

Generally, when I hear people say that God impressed something on them or told them to do something I'm pretty skeptical. But a few days ago, I was thinking about the kids while they were at school and kind of half praying and half hoping that they were doing ok. Well, I tell you what, the Spirit impressed on me to get my bible and get on my knees. And it was so strong that I grabbed my Bible that minute and hit the ground. (go ahead and be skeptical if you must!)

There was nothing really life changing about the few minutes I spent prayer, but it was an unmistakable compelling of the Spirit. I'm not sure if I have ignored those times in the past or if I have been so out of touch with Christ that I just didn't get it, but it was really exciting to be moved like that.

Maybe it was so strong because of my half-hearted attempts at worry/praying while I was doing other things. I'm not sure, but it definitely got my attention. It didn't tell me to change my life focus, move or anything that big, but it directed my heart to God which is right where I want to be. I hope that I will be aware of those times when the Spirit is compelling me to do something. Then I hope I will get down and do it!

John 14:26
"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit,
whom the Father will send in my name,
will teach you all things and will remind you
of everything I have said to you."

No comments: